Friday, January 29, 2010

Faxed Correspondence

I am writing to dispute a billing error that occurred on December 1, 2008. Please hear me out and try to understand my perspective of the situation. On September 1, 2008 I opened an Amazon Chase credit card to take advantage of the $30 credit offered for opening an account. At that time I made purchases totaling $117.19. and with the addition of the $30 credit, my account totaled $87.19.


In October I received my first statement which reflected this. In November I received my second statement totaling to $103.54 which was the $87.19 + $16.35 for late fees and finance charges. On December 1, 2008 my bank posted a debit to Chase Epay for $132.54. My third statement for December shows an opening/closing date as 11/03/08-12/01/08. How on December 1 did I arrive at a payoff amount of $132.54 prior to receiving the statement? One can only assume I arrived at that number from somewhere other than a paper statement.

Unfortunately I did not record the conversation, but I spoke to an account representative to arrive at that amount. I asked specifically “How much do I owe in order to have this account paid up to date without any balance?” and then I asked to have the account closed.

Here is where things become odd and you need to understand my perspective. I am now under the impression that this account is taken care of. (paid and closed)

In May 2009 I receive a letter from Chase dated May 6, 2009 saying my account is past due. This is when I begin to realize the mistake that was made by me processing a purchase on Amazon without meticulously checking which account was being charged. I inadvertently made the purchase on February 8, 2009 by clicking the “proceed to checkout” button, followed by the “place your order” button using the wrong account.

Again, let me restate I am under the impression this account is closed and does not exist. This belief is further vindicated by the fact that I was no longer receiving any paper statements. The Chase letter dated May 6, 2009, which presumably arrived after its inception, was my first trace of this account still existing. After paying off the Chase account in December, my account had somehow become a paperless entity.

May 23, 2009 the same procedure that transpired in December 2008 was followed to pay-off the Chase account. Only this time it was followed up with a fax to create documentation of the event. My February Amazon order total was $50.98, and the past due notice said the amount due was $51.26 which was confirmed by the Chase account service personnel, so that is what I paid.

My Fax correspondence was never responded to.

If my intention was to neglect this account, why did I call in May, 2009 and try to set the record straight?
How can this account be past due and at $300 today?
I would also like to add that all of my other credit is intact and has never received any negative marks.

0 comments:

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment